Monday, January 11, 2010

Upcycling Holiday Cards


Happy New Year!! I hope that you have enjoyed a lovely holiday season and are off to a wonderful start in 2010!

December is a month during which many of us reflect on the year that's nearly behind us and think about our family and friends - near and far, old and new. Life is busy for us all and it is often easy to realize it's been nearly a year since we last communicated with a friend or family member.

I love the December holiday season for many reasons, not the least of which the the excitement of checking the mailbox and email each day for those holiday photo cards, update letters, and notes from family and friends. For some of us, this is our chance to finally catch up - even if only once a year. It's a way to let those we've nearly lost touch with know that we haven't stopped thinking of them and that we wish we could stay better connected. (umm, on that note, dear family and friends, we are hoping to get a Valentine e-letter out this year . . . please don't take it personally that you haven't heard from us yet!)

While I treasure receiving the cards, letters, and photos throughout December, I find myself in a quandary in early January - what to do with all those cards, letters, photos, etc.!? The photos, I keep - I have shoe boxes, envelopes, and various other vessels stashed away with photos and photo cards from past years.

The letters, I read and re-read, contemplating each family and enjoying the tales of their past year, but eventually I place those in recycling (unless, of course, they're studded with photos, in which case, into that shoe box they go!).

The cards are a different story. Though I am a self-admitted pack-rat, I have realized over the past several years that I just cannot hold onto everything. I feel guilty, though, simply recycling or otherwise disposing of the lovely holiday cards - but what to do with them, then?

A couple years ago, as I was getting the holiday decor out, I realized what a stash of cards I had collected over the years. I decided to put them to good use and create crafty gift bags for our baked goods that we give to friends and neighbors each year. Here's a sampling of them:

A festive project that the kids could help out with - I thought the bags came out nicely and they were fun to fill with home-baked goodies. I think this might be considered upcycling, though I suppose beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder.




No comments:

Post a Comment