Sunday, May 17, 2009

An experiment - GF/CF/SF/EF Shepherd's Pie




I had not envisioned doing much talk about cooking on this blog.  I do a lot of it and I usually enjoy it, but I'm no cooking expert.  I wish I had more time to devote to cooking, but I suppose I could make that if I were to give up time spent doing some other things (like trying to write a blog entry now and then...).  =)

Anyway, though I do not expect to be posting "our food" here very often, I sometimes wonder why people feel badly or sad for us when they find out what we do not eat.  The only time it really gets 'in the way' is when we try to eat out, which of course is such a big part of American life.  But I try to not focus on what we cannot eat, and think in terms of what we can eat.  It's a lot easier that way, and seems more positive for the Os as they grow up with our diet.  

If I were to be honest, I do miss cheese.  I do not miss other dairy products really, just cheese. And I have indulged in cheese on occasion the couple of months.  Probably three times.  No, it was probably four.  I have to say, it only lived up to my expectations, my memory of what it was like to enjoy cheese, one of those times.

And I wish we could eat eggs.  It would make gluten-free baking a lot easier and they are such a great source of protein and many other good things.

But, the truth is that I have very little desire to go back to eating gluten, milk/casein, soy, or eggs because I have seen the benefits and improvements in myself and my children.  And, more significantly, I have seen the setbacks and discomforts after an infraction.  My ears are still stuffy and 'bubbly' sounding, I have been tired and grumpier than usual after the last cheese indulgences (two of those aforementioned incidents were in the past few days).  Oh, and, yeah, the bowels have noticed, too.

I digress.  Sometimes I think people really wonder exactly what we eat - as if it were some strange gruel that our food choices have been reduced to.  It is simple, but it's not gruel.  

Fruits, vegetables, chicken, beef, pork, sometimes fish, home made baked treats, rice bread, rice or corn based cereals, coconut milk ice cream. . . various combinations of the above and other items like cocoa/chocolate, corn chips, potato chips, guacamole, salsa, hummus, rice crackers, etc.  We chose to buy organic and/or sustainable products as much as possible and I am continually seeking out ways to affordably acquire humanely raised and organic meats.

Supper can be as simple as bun-free burgers with roasted rosemary potatoes and raw carrot sticks.  Or, on days when I get a little more creative with the meat, potatoes, onions, fresh carrots, and frozen peas, I experiment with things like Shepherd's Pie.  I used the chicken left over from the previous night's roasted chicken.  I got the potatoes into boiling water and then sautéed the onions and carrots a bit, added in some home made chicken stock (à la Nourishing Traditions) that was in my freezer, and stirred in some potato starch to thicken.  I added in the frozen peas and chicken and poured the concoction into a casserole dish.  The potatoes were mashed with olive oil, coconut milk, garlic, and salt, then spread on top. I baked the whole thing a short while and served.  It wasn't bad for gruel.


No comments:

Post a Comment